Many successful talented “Show Me” state natives are living, working, and earning in progressive metropolitan areas in the region or on the coasts. This intentional, strategic project reconnects native Missourians and local change agents to:
- Encourage deeper investment in the state that is rooted in knowledge of the state and respect for the experiences of local leaders and organizations,
- Catalyze experimentation and accelerate growth through the infusion of ideas and resources from the diaspora,
- Cultivate national champions in different places, arenas, and industries to tell the story of Missouri’s advances and potential in national political discussions.
We assert that the Shared Roots model is a powerful, untapped source for rebuilding a unified, national, progressive shift in power. We are calling our allies in progressive coastal strongholds to engage seriously with Show Me State leaders – leaders organizing and building an agenda that addresses the issues that propel so many of our neighbors into enough despair that they vote for a dangerous demagogue – or don’t vote at all.
With partners at the Tides Foundation & Tides Advocacy we have created two investment funds to finance the development of a social justice infrastructure that will work strategically for at least a decade.
- Shared Roots Education Fund is a non-partisan 501c3 fund to support social change infrastructure building.
- Shared Roots Action Fund is a 501c4 fund to support more electorally-related political investments.
We feel the urgency of this moment, but know that cultural and organizational change takes time. The Shared Roots Project is, at its core, about deepening trust and creating relationships where too few exist. Success will require a bottom-up, full-state, multi-cycle investment of time, talent, and resources. It will require risks that can lead to brilliant forward leaps or messy failures. Our commitment is that we will learn from every investment and share the lessons with you. We assert that the Shared Roots model is a powerful, untapped source for rebuilding a unified, national, progressive shift in power.